Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Let the Harvest Begin



"Cheese!" Hurry Mom! I want to pick the eggplants not take another picture!


Look! Look! The BIG pumpkin is turning orange!


This week has proven a success for us! When we planted our garden in the spring we weren't sure if we'd get much out of it! We weren't used to gardening in the different climate. It seemed that when we'd plant anything, living in California, it'd grow and produce. So yes, we practiced some faith and look at the growth. The kids love to go out in the garden and pick whatever there is, whether it is ready or not! We have a few green tomatoes on our table as well as a watermelon with a white middle! David said, "This is the best garden we've ever had!" True in some ways, not so much in others. Normally when we have beans coming out our ears and cucumbers to share with the whole neighborhood, we don't. However, our pumpkins are taking over and I don't think I'll have to buy one pumpkin for Halloween this year! The tomatoes are abundant and delicious! We've never grown eggplant before, but our neighbor had a couple extra plants that she gave us. We've given it a try and we have almost too much! The cantalope and watermelon are finally growing well after thinking we'd get nothing. One of my favorites is the acorn squash! Yummo (in the words of my good friend, Lisa!)!!! They are so good!



Luke, Jake, and David showing the "baby cantalope"!



Jake working hard finding beans, not so much luck. They look pretty though!

6 comments:

Keri said...

Hello! What a great looking bunch of children you guys have! Looks like things are great for you in Utah. Isn't the blogging world such a fun way to keep in touch and catch up on people's lives?!

Carter Family said...

Way to go! YOu are such a good gardener! :) I was always impressed at your produce here in EG. I SOOO miss you guys! It's fun seeing your blog and seeing the cute Spaulding kid faces that we miss!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like your kids are like mine when it comes to picking the veggies. Except, we had some issues with our cucumbers! We had one plant that was producing bitter ones and they were so nasty! I had a couple eggplants planted in my flowerbed in the front yard last year for fun, and they grew ginormous (in Saydria's words) and I put a couple in the garden this year and they are puny. Oh well. Glad you guys are having fun! Have you ever had cucumber melons? We planted some and they are growing like crazy, but I've not had them before and they taste a lot like a cucumber, but a lot more seedy. I don't care for them for that reason.

Jeep and Nisha's Family said...

I didn't know you'd officially started blogging! I love it! It's so fun to get caught up on you guys. We miss you. Hopefully, we'll see you soon!

Becky said...

I love that you quoted Lisa!

Anne said...

OK I'm finally here visiting your blog! I'm a loser! I couldn't find it a while back and now I did. I love your garden. You have such a great touch at anything and everything that has to do with love. I'm sure all your produce is delicious. Your kids are looking big! Put up more pictures soon!!! xoxoxox Miss you!!!